[97725 views]
Share |
Not rated yet
Stephen Clark
Stephen Clark
Stephen Clark
Research fellow and tutor
About me:
I currently hold a joint position as a Research fellow and Tutor in Physics at Keble College and a Research fellow at the Centre for Quantum Technologies in the National University of Singapore. As a result outside of term time I am likely to be located in South-East Asia as much as Oxford. This delocalization rather aptly fits with my teaching duties at Keble which mainly involves demystifying Quantum Mechanics to 1st and 2nd year undergraduates. For those students not deterred by this experience I also try to run a summer project each year to give them a flavour of research and to stretch their physical intuition.

RESEARCH FOCUS: TENSOR NETWORK ALGORITHMS (TNAs)
A major part of our research efforts as a part of the Keble Networks cluster is to apply the methods and tools from physics described in the articles above above to wider settings. We are currently exploring this in the context of Markov chains for classical stochastic systems such as queues, production lines and simple models of vehicular traffic. To gain traction in this area, TNA need to compete with Monte-Carlo methods. Preliminary results suggest that TNAs can describe the probability of extremely rare events far better than Monte-Carlo sampling. This is thought to be because of the unique way in which tensor networks approximate the full multi-variant probability distribution describing Markov chain systems. If proven, this could lead to a number of killer applications of TNA in this area.