[97725 views]
Share |
Not rated yet
Alastair Kay
Alastair Kay
Alastair Kay
Research Fellow
About me:
I research a broad range of topics in quantum information. My main interests are geared towards trying to reduce or tailor the requirements for a quantum computer with regards to practical considerations. In the past, this has included demonstrations of how quantum computation can be performed by either addressing every spin in the system simultaneously, or, alternatively, by addressing just a single spin in the system, and allowing the dynamics of the intrinsic Hamiltonian to do the rest.

At present, my research focuses on exploring the properties of quantum memories, relatively simple systems that should be intrinsically robust against a range of decoherence effects. Such devices will be very important for future, long range implementations of quantum cryptography, and could also form the basis of a move away from existing notions of fault-tolerance (the error correction mechanism required to prevent the build-up of errors in a long quantum computation, even if the error correction machinery itself is faulty) towards something with lower overheads.

One key notion in my research is transport properties in quantum systems, i.e. the ability to generate long range transmission of energy/information from localised interactions, and how these transport properties can aided or hindered by decoherence.

NETWORKS THEMES: In my research, there is typically a set of spins. These spins can then interact with each other, and the possible interactions are described by a graph/network - the spins correspond to the nodes of the network, and the connections indicate pairs of spins which can have an interaction term. It is then common to pick interaction terms that provide a precise correspondence to the underlying topology. For instance, in dynamical problems the interaction may take on the form of the network's adjacency matrix or Laplacian.