Oxford emblem
Liesbeth Corens
Keble Career Development Fellow in Renaissance History and ASC Medieval and Renaissance Cluster coordinator.
Skills: ASC, Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Cluster membership
(Not signed in)
[97725 views]
Share |
Not rated yet
Liesbeth Corens
Liesbeth Corens
Liesbeth Corens
Keble Career Development Fellow in Renaissance History and ASC Medieval and Renaissance Cluster coordinator.
About me:
I’m a Career Development Fellow in Renaissance History at Keble College, where I arrived after a research fellowship at Jesus College, Cambridge. My work focuses on minority Catholicism as an insightful case study to analyse the Counter-Reformation. My first book assesses early modern lay English Catholic expatriate experiences in terms of a broad concept of ‘confessional mobility’ (forthcoming with OUP). It encourages a more flexible interpretation of movement and its implications for belonging to communities. By shifting the perspective from stasis to dynamic mobility, Confessional Mobility shows how English Catholics fostered a community without borders which bridged the Channel.

My next project is about commemoration and record-keeping, through the prism of the ‘counter-archives’ which Catholics minorities (both English and Dutch) started to create in the later seventeenth century.The archives and collections which resulted from this commemoration are not solely a reflection of community, but also played an active part in constructing those communities. Therefore, rather than understanding the collections as unproblematic repositories, I acknowledge them as practices and processes. I explore how and why the compilations were put together, what selection has been made, and what the ordering of the material has done to its interpretations.
Skills:
ASC, Medieval and Renaissance Studies
I'm interested in:
ASC, Medieval and Renaissance Studies